12.29.2009

Here Comes The Sun


Well, I spent the afternoon working in a small cramped office, trying to teach an older lady how to use software that might have been a bit too much for her. She doesn't know how to open Word. Enough said.

However, right on top of her very messy shelf I found a very out of place Ipod hooked up to a speaker dock softly serenading us as we learned to work together. I had tried hard to block out the tunes coming from it, and concentrate on work but ended up failing at that miserably. She got up for her 4th pee break, leaving me alone with that endless Beatles playlist she had just as "Here Comes The Sun" started to play. The familiar guitar notes flooded me as I stared out the window at the falling snow. "Little darling, it's been a long cold lonely winter." I sort of nodded at the lyrics, agreeing that the winter, in fact, has been long. Of course, referring to a metaphorical season...at least I was, anyway. "Little darling, it feels like years since it's been here." It does feel like it's been here entirely too long.

The last time I heard this song, you were playing it rather drunkishly and sounded sadder than it was supposed to. So, what else would come to my mind when I hear this song now if not you. I looked out at the fog and gray skies, at the gigantic snowflakes and for the first time I didn't wonder how you were. I couldn't bring myself to miss you or even feel sad that you've disappeared for the last 5 months. I felt no anger or bitterness, no abandonement or betrayal. I simply heard your voice in my head singing, I saw your eyes full of wonder and pictured that silly green M*A*S*H t-shirt you wore. I simply thought of you as you think of friends that have come and gone. Nothing more. Nothing less. Oh delight.

It's nice to feel nothing. So, that being said, I believe the sun probably is coming some day soon. This time I'll look up at it and feel it's warmth on my face. I might even smile, too. Hey, really, I'll smile...greater things have happened.

There's a picture of your hand, blocking my camera. Maybe it was your way of waving good-bye...

No comments:

Post a Comment