8.24.2009

Don't Turn Off The Light, Dad


"BEEP BEEP Richie! They ALL float down here. When you're down here with us, you'll float too!" - It

"I'm pleased and happy to repeat the news that we have, in fact, caught and killed a large predator that supposedly injured some bathers. But, as you see, it's a beautiful day, the beaches are open and people are having a wonderful time. Amity, as you know, means 'friendship'." - Jaws

"Stay on the road. Keep clear of the moors. Beware the moon, lads." - An American Werewolf In London

"I have never known birds of different species to flock together. The very concept is unimaginable. Why, if that happened, we wouldn't stand a chance! How could we possibly hope to fight them?" - The Birds

"The way you walked was thorny, through no fault of your own, but as the rain enters the soil, the river enters the sea, so tears run to a predestined end. Your suffering is over, Bela my son. Now you will find peace." - The Wolfman

That right there, that last quote, is the reason for this post on this sleepless night.

When I was between 4-8 yrs old I watched these movies non-stop. They became my favorite scary flicks and to this day they're classics to watch and still creep me out. I'd "watch" them almost every night, though I admit I closed my eyes in the jumpy scenes (they still make me jump and I still don't know what happens). But it was all good, it was fun, it's made me into the scaredy cat I am today.

I can sing in my head the song the kids were singing in class in the movie The Birds, as the birds gathered on the playground outside seemingly waiting for the bell to ring so they could feast on pre-adolescent pupils (pun intended).

I know almost every dialogue, including the SS Indianapolis story Quint slurred his way through, from the movie Jaws. "Show me the way to go hoommeee...", still makes me giggle when I hum it. Brody's awesome miraculous shot right into the oxygen tank while saying "Smile you son of a bitc---KABOOM!".

David and Jack walking away from The Slaughtered Lamb...hearing growls trailing them. Realizing they both strayed from the road and did not beware the fool moon. The panic sets in, they start running but where the heck can they hide? The noise gets louder. They sort of see what's chasing them and wonder if it's a dog but in the pit of your stomach (and theirs, and the beast for that matter) you know what's about to come. I close my eyes still. My dad used to hide behind me at this precise moment and howl loudly making me cry my heart out every time.

When Georgie was outside playing with his new newspaper boat, chasing it down the stream...like any of us would be, outside, playing safely in the rain. Boat goes into the sewer. Bummer. Then I see this clown pop out of the sewer...pull this kid into his razor sharp teeth and those words will forever chill me to the bone. "We all float down here, Georgie! And when you're here, you'll float too!". Yikes! Talk about a bad time at circuses or any clown related events after seeing that. Or when Beverly is in the bathroom and the blood starts bubbling out. Oh god I used to have nightmares that instead of water, blood would come out of the shower head or the sink faucet.

But, today, in honor of all the nostalgia I feel towards the movies that horrified me as a child, I have received wonderful and horror inducing news. Yes, I am ready. You see, contrary to all he remakes Hollywood insists on shoving down our throat...there is one coming out on February 12, 2010 that looks so good, I cried. I hyperventilated. I squeeeed in delight. I became uber nerd. This isn't a mere 'let's tamper with the original and utterly make it looked like we wiped our ass with it'. Oh no, dear reader. They have made a remake of The Wolfman. Yes. THE WOLFMAN.

Let me begin by saying I can't believe I found out sooner about this, given the cast they picked and - by the looks of it - the amazing special effects involved in this remake. First off, they seemed to have left the storyline almost intact, for a few minor changes. Second, they didn't bother making it have too much CGI and making it look like a damn freak show or utterly fake. That right away drew me in, because if I have to see another damn "Van Helsing" I'm seriously slaying someone. Third, the cast. OH. EM. GEE.

As Sir John Talbot, they have cast Sir Anthony "I HEART THIS MAN" Hopkins...and he doesn't look like he's gonna be a pleasant fellow in this at all. As Larry "NOT JUST ANY WEREWOLF" Talbot, the ever delicious and much more talented actor than Lon Chaney...Benicio Del Toro. Yes. Benicio. Yum. He looks absolutely fantastic for this role. Adding to the mix? A little Hugo Weaving as the detective and Emily Blunt as Gwen.

I have seen the trailer so many times today, I should be considered unfit to be with normal society. Everything about it looks awesome. They even have the gypsy lady!!! The mansion is almost identical to the original one! The effects, his looks, his howl, the plot...I'm getting dizzy! I am so pleasantly surprised tonight! Like my friend Scott said "Dude, if she says The Way You Walk Is Thorny, My Son, I'mma shit." and "I swear if there's a gypsy guy named bela I'm dead." We are ready for this.

It looks good. I long for the day when classics will be left untouched by Hollywood punks...and if you MUST remake them (God knows why), they end up giving me the hopes this one is. Stop MESSING UP MOVIES!

HERE! CLICK IF YOU DARE! BEHOLD THE TRAILER! http://www.thewolfmanmovie.com/

p.s. I was remembering Jessica Tandy in "The Birds"...and got to thinking about her role in 'Batteries Not Included'...I LOVED that movie as a kid. But that's another story, and a whole lotta therapy. tootles!

1 comment:

  1. ummm, that looks effn awesome! Plus Anthony and Huge make me...hott. Good find, i can't wait to see it now either! <3

    ReplyDelete