9.17.2009

My parents. They deserve better....



But they are just a drop in a sea of similar stories of what's become middle America.

My mother had an injury at work that tore her meniscus on both knees, chronic digestive problems (they can't figure out what gives her pain and heartburn after 6 years) that is resilient to every stomach medication created and has now been diagnosed with osteoporosis (which I kinda suspected for a while now). Because she is over 50, she needs to be taking estrogen and calcium, but because of her upper GI issues, she can't take any medications and she has developed allergies to EVERYTHING. She'll drink water sometimes and break out in hives and get pain and heartburn. She can't stand for more than an hour at a time or two because of her knees and arthritis. She can't sit for longer than 30 mins to an hour because the osteoporosis has broken her tail bone several times. She's used to being active, she want's to work. She can't find work that allows her to sit and stand like she has to. She receives NO aid from county or federal in any way.

My dad has chronic mental illness, some days he functions - most days his depression is devastating. He's been working full time since he was 14 yrs old in Puerto Rico (which is a US Commonwealth, BTW), and always paid his taxes and Social Security...up to the age of 45. Hence, I have no issue nor do I feel ashamed in saying he is on Social Security. He didn't fake it, he actually can't work. He receives his 'pension' of $980.00 on the first of the month, and here is where I break down their expenses.

$186.00 Mortgage (I pay for it)

$300.00 in Medication for him (diabetes, hpb, depression)

$150.00 Electric

$50.00 Water

$20.00 Gas

$100.00 Mom's HBP meds

$100.00 Groceries for month

$40.00 Gas for car

$300.00 Car Payment (my dad's credit sucked and that's the lowest they could find to pay to have something to move around in.)

I have NO idea how much more they pay in medical bills ($5 to $10 towards old hospital bills).

So that brings the total to approx. $1226.00 in monthly bills for 2 disabled people. Do you see where I'm going with this? They make ends meet by taking odd jobs like cleaning my house, my mom cleans houses, my dad mows grass on good days. Anything.

Lately, my mom keeps getting gov't doors shut in her face because she doesn't qualify as a 'low income' citizen. She too, has been working since she was 15, paying taxes and never had her or my dad so much as tried applying for unemployment. Low and behold, now what do they do? They don't qualify for anything except my dad's social security check. Various agencies sit there and seriously tell them they can live on less than $1,000.00 a month.

I am an only child, I can't share this worry or burden with any sibling. I can't call my sister or brother up and say "Hey mom and dad have no groceries. I don't get paid till next Monday, can you get them a few things?" or "Mom has an appointment for a mammogram and she's scared, can you go with her while I catch up on overtime?". Anyone who knows me, or has known me, I often gripe about my parents being weirdos but deep down I would do anything for them. I don't consider them an obligation, all I do for them I do for love. They're not a note in my agenda "Meet with dad for a beer Tuesday between 6 and 6:30 p.m."..."Call Mom on saturday between 9 and 9:30 am to see how she's doing". I am constantly checking in on them, I try to make the quality of their life better with what little I have left over after my debts and monthly bills. Sometimes I have nothing for me, but I slip a $20 or more in my mom's purse, and she refuses to accept it! She reluctantly says "fine I'll do your laundry and clean your house", to which I say No (unless I really need clean undies)...I'm trying to help her so she can rest!

I have to sit here and see corruption left and right. See people get financial and medical aid just because they lied on key questions during a welfare interview. You sit there and deny my mom the chance to detect early cancer with a colonoscopy, but give $1000 extra a month to Tammie Jo or María because she's a "single" mom? How can she afford that latest cell phone she has in her hand, look at that nice manicure...is that a designer bag? Where are your investigators that follow up on families that request help?? I'm not asking for money even! I just need you guys to help me. I'm a young adult who doesn't qualify for home buyer's grants, so I rent. I'm a young adult who has medical expenses that my insurance can't cover until I meet my ridiculously high deductible, only to have my bills denied as a "pre-existing" condition. I'm a young adult who brings home less than $22,000.00 a year, and still makes ends meet and supports her parents to an extent.

You're telling me you can't cut me some goddamn slack and at least help me with a BIT of my mom's medical expenses? Give her SOME sort of backup so that doctors can schedule her testings and procedures without rolling their eyes or flat out saying NO when seeing she's a non-insured person?!

Spit on all of you who abuse the system without need, just because you're too lazy to do what millions of other people around you do - WORK HARD FOR WHAT YOU HAVE. SHIT on all of YOU that help them cheat, sitting in your gov't positions KNOWING people are scamming ya and you look the other way. PISS on all you bureaucrats and politicians that have one hand on the Bible swearing to fight for the American people and the other hand deep inside the pockets of your insurance company buddies and federal aids funds.
“Power corrupts. Knowledge is power. Study hard. Be evil.”

2 comments:

  1. I feel for you, and can to an extent relate. My mother's suitation is different from your parents', but her need for my help is similar. There's an honor in being helpful to those who fed you, but there's also a grief in never being able to fully be an independent person and only have yourself to worry about. The Almighty Molly sends you all the power she can spare.

    ReplyDelete