3.03.2011

You Know I'd Kiss You Better


I have no idea how I had gotten to that place, or where it was. All I knew was that I was standing in a cold, damp alley about to walk in through a metal door into a building. There were no signs to indicate what was waiting for me behind the door and I shifted uncomfortably from foot to foot, as the cold crept into my feet...Converse are never good 'soggy weather' shoes.

My stomach felt like a small pit full of angry snakes, lashing at each other. I sent one last text message and tucked my phone in my back pocket, then opening the metal door to face the rest of my night. A gust of warm air full of cigarette smoke hit my face as I blinked a few times to discern what it was I had just walked into. The poorly lit bar was crowded, with a mix group of people I couldn't really pinpoint with a specific 'style' to them. I kept getting bumped into and stared down at, making me uncomfortable and not welcome that night.

I was getting ready to head back out that place when I heard an amp vibrate and pierce my eardrum with feedback. Nothing makes me zone in as the sound of a guitar being tuned, so my neck snapped back towards the stage where a group of men stood getting their musical instruments ready. I pushed my way through the lumps of people gathered in their drunken haze, completely forgetting how intimidated I had been by them minutes ago. I found a spot by the left side of the stage, my eyes lighting up as I saw him adjusting the strap to his guitar and pulling his jeans up slightly. He kept covering the mic as he leaned back to shout directions to his drummer and I heard them all break out in a hearty laughter...making me grin involuntarily at these 'boys' doing what they loved.

He leaned closely to the mic and after scanning the room with his eyes briefly, he gave a quick introduction to his band and welcomed everyone to the gig. I heard some girls give out a few shouts from the back of the bar and he simply let out a soft giggle, looking down as his foot tapped softly from one button to the next on his pedal. I could've swore I saw slight dimples forming on his cheeks as he grinned to himself. Then, in one swift movement and a after a brief countdown from the drummer, he let out the cleanest riff I've ever heard to introduce a soft bluesy tune. The rhythm spread through my body like wildfire...It's a feeling I can't expect everyone to understand. I hear live music and I feel it from my toes to the back of my eyeballs. It was beautiful, it was raw and it was flooding me. He closed his eyes as he belted out a few verses, and other times he simply smiled as his fingers glided over the guitar neck in a simple, yet soulful scale.

After a few songs, the band excused themselves for a small break and I reluctantly stole one last glance at him as he put his guitar down on a stand. I found a spot at the bar and ordered a Newcastle while I sat picking the label off the bottle absent-minded. I had a few chugs and found myself needing one more...or three, I thought. I felt a warm hand snake around my low back and someone pressing against my side, sliding me a new bottle of Newcastle over into my hands. I looked up startled, and found a pair of chocolate eyes smiling at me devilishly. His plaid blue flannel shirt had it's collar slightly crooked, and I was more than willing to fix it quickly while flashing him my most sincerely smile. I turned to my beer and took a few gulps before he leaned into my ear and whispered "Take it easy, I want you to make it through the whole show, this time. You left too quick last time." Giddiness, butterflies, relaxation. All at once just feeling his hand on the small of my back and his voice sneaking inside my ear. I turned on my stool to face him, and he slid comfortable against me as I held him close in a tight hug. He smelled like vanilla and mild cigar. He smelled of music and poetry. I teasingly messed his buzz cut and grabbed his chin, simply nodding in agreement to what he had asked. He winked and kissed the tip of my nose, leaving me slightly dazzled as he headed back on stage to resume the show.

He set up, and grabbed the mic...giving everyone another welcome and this time staring dead at me all the way across the bar to where I still sat on the stool. He smiled big and said "And this special welcome and next song goes out to my Curly girl"...and I got lost in his voice as he sang one of my favorite covers. My heart thudded harder against my ribcage and I heard him slide my name into the song, making it impossible for me to hide the blush that crept up my face.

...And then I woke up, craving tacos. It was a nice break from the nightmares.

1 comment: