5.21.2010

The Breakup


I've been watching a lot of romantic films lately, something I tend to avoid due to the huge slap in the face most of them are. It seems that the best they can come up with is with two people who seem wrong for each other (or perfect for each other?) that go through an endless parade of embarrassing moments, arguments and cheesy one liners. Perfectly coordinated 'happy' moments in which the universe aligns and the lighting is just perfect for the one earth-shattering kiss, the heart-stopping touch of hands and the realization that they are 'the one'. So much for real life, right? Somehow the characters end up in this huge argument that leads to a break up, in which both of them are miserable and pining over their lost love. The torture, the misery, the loneliness becomes too much...and a nice montage of quirky love songs and images of them running through hell and high waters happens. They leave everything behind, abandon all that ever meant anything to them, just to run to their 'true love' and proclaim to the heavens above that they have changed. They will forever love them, worship the ground they walk on, and it doesn't matter where they live as long as their together. Right.

How about leveling with me? Here. Let me paint for you a real life relationship. Boy likes girl. Girl likes boy. After a series of awkward flirtation moves and they decide to go for it. They don't show you the small arguments you have over pancakes sometimes, or the way he snores your ear off and farts on your leg while he's asleep. There are days when you wake up hating the way his stupid hair is messed up, and mornings when the sight of his unruly cowlicks turn you into a sex starved maniac that just has to devour him on the spot. Where do they explain, that as men, they have NO idea how to understand us and our mood swings? They have no capability to comprehend why, sometimes, when they say small insignificant things, we give them a total different meaning in our head. We hear things in the opposite way you meant them or look deeper into them when all you meant was just that.

And so, the small arguments become too much for one or both people. What are the odds that you found the person that can deal with your ways or that you've found the one you're willing to put up with for eternity? Who is to say that they won't grow out of love, that YOU won't? It's really a game of chance, not fate. Coincidences, random occurrences that shouldn't be mistaken for 'signs'. There are no signs. Not unless you declare something you both have in common as something bigger than life that just HAS to mean you're meant for each other. Granted, there are first kisses that leave you breathless...make you see stars. But there's no coordinated fireworks and soundtrack for the happy moments you have as a couple. All you have are memories to keep forever and savor on lonely nights.

When you break up...it's never even. Ever. The heartache is not shared 50/50. You both might go through the initial hurt, the first few days. However, in time only one of you will be singing this...and it's a damn shame, to carry it alone:

I'm still alive but I'm barely breathing
Just praying to a God that I don't believe in
'Cause I got time while she got freedom
'Cause when a heart breaks, no, it don't breakeven.

Her best days will be some of my worst
She finally met a man that's gonna put her first
While I'm wide awake she's no trouble sleeping
'Cause when a heart breaks no it don't breakeven.

They say bad things happen for a reason
But no wise word's gonna stop the bleeding
'Cause she's moved on while I'm still grieving
And when a heart breaks no it don't breakeven.

Oh you got his heart and my heart and none of the pain
You took your suitcase, I took the blame
Now I'm try and make sense of what little remains
'Cause you left me with no love, no love to my name.

What am I gonna do when the best part of me was always you and
What am I suppose to say when I'm all choked up and you're okay,
I'm falling to pieces
I'm falling to pieces
I'm falling to pieces.
(One still in love while the other ones leaving)
I'm falling to pieces
('Cause when a heart breaks no it don't breakeven)

~ The Script

No comments:

Post a Comment