7.30.2009

Today


TODAY

Today I face the day again.
Tossing on an empty bed that smells of you…
I can almost feel your hand on my face
Open my eyes, loneliness…
sirens blasting through the morning stillness.

Reluctantly my feet push me out of bed.
Who would want to face a day like this?
Sun shining through the window,
Not a cloud in the sky…torture.

Looking at my face in the mirror.
Suddenly the eyes seem older…
Let’s practice the smile I’m using today,
Looking down at the sink…your toothbrush is still here.

Head down the street pretending to have somewhere to go.
The park? Perhaps movies today…no, home. My bed. Alone.
I pick up a flower and give it to the sadness inside me.
Drinking the warm coffee, from your favorite stop, I break my heart.

Work…I guess I’ll show up. Not like money matters anymore.
Your name is slowly scribbled on a blank corner of some paper,
I’ll try it in red ink; it makes it look happier…or less pointless…
Call for me on line 3? It’s not you? Send it to my voicemail then.

Driving back home our song’s playing on the radio, of course.
Turn off the radio; I don’t need to hear that. Do I?
I hate to think of your smile when I said something silly…
Or how your hair looked after a shower.

Walking up to my apartment, I look at my watch.
You’d be getting home just about now too...
Today. Today was just like yesterday and tomorrow.
Thinking of your voice, a lot of talking to myself.

Do I need to think of the way you sat on the couch…
Or how soft your skin felt after you shaved.
I’m going back to bed.
Turning off all the lights…and my mind.
Today…Tonight…I miss you.

Poem by Yari...or maybe a rant, from 2007.

No comments:

Post a Comment