5.19.2011

You Are...


The sound of rain drops hitting the banana leaves and my tin roof at night...and the cool breeze that came with it through my windows, bringing me the sleep of those who have no cares in their mind.

Sleepless nights where words overwhelm and thoughts race.

The blood in my veins...the language of my tongue...the one that finishes a thought...the other half of my being.

The rush I feel in the pit of my stomach when I'm the next one in line to get on a roller coaster half ready to chicken out...but so ready for the ride.

Like that pang I feel in my chest when I Brandi Carlile screams at the end of The Story...or when that feeling of...alive when I hear the solo in Weezer's "Perfect Situation".

You're the moon and the stars, and the humbling feeling they give me when I look up at the desert sky...and how it almost feels like they're shining solely for me.

The sound of a spoon clinking against the edges of a cup, early in the morning...when my grandmother was up making breakfast and starting her day...

The taste of water after a long day at the beach...sweet, fresh and soothing. Like you almost forgot what water really tastes like when it's not from the ocean...

Like the smile my grandfather gave me when I made a good move while playing dominos on a Sunday night, out on the roof of the house. That smile that said he was both stuck with a crappy move because of me...that I had foiled his plan...and that he was also proud of how quickly I was becoming good at beating him.

That huge ball of fire setting down, sinking into the horizon at Huntington Beach...and the innumerable sparkles dancing across the beach as I stood on that pier thinking I would never witness anything as beautiful in my life.

You're the laughter that I've held in for years, that now flows out of me like a morning song out of a Scarlet Tanager...feeling both naturally and foreign to my ears...Robert Browning said it best: "What are the voices of birds, but words, our words, only so much more sweet?"

That first bite of cheesecake...

That first sip of Diet Coke in the morning...

That upside down kiss between Spiderman and Mary Jane...

That one you close your eyes...and see yourself raising your unborn children with. That non existent house needing to be fixed up. The unfought arguments over silly things. A future both real and completely imaginary.

The one you knew existed somewhere, out in the universe, but never dared to look for.

The one you feel you've met in a previous life...and all you're doing now is reconnecting...filling in the blanks.

That sigh. That smile. That absent glance out into nothing, half hoping to find those pair of eyes staring back at you.

All. Nothing. Everything. You are. You will be. Completion. Revival. Pain. Love.

Wear my ring. Wear it around your heart.

You are...

...Home.

1 comment:

  1. this is so beautiful, pastramipants. absolutely lovely, amazing imagery, thank you for the peak into your most precious memories <3

    ReplyDelete