8.24.2010

I Ain't Shakespeare...


But, How do I love thee?

Like I love drifting off to dreamland,
listening to raindrops on a tin roof.

Like I love the rush I feel through my body
when I hear a song with a flawless beat.

Like the joy I feel when my toes are digging
into the warm sand, in my beach.

Like the smile that spreads on my lips,
when I hear a song that means nothing to everyone else,
but it makes your face pop up in my head.

Like I love watching snow cover the sidewalks
and rooftops, and the sound the flakes make
as they hit the ground.

Like I love the browsing the sweets aisle
on gas station stops in long trips.

Like that first sip of Coke Zero in my day.

Like the lightheaded feeling I get when looking
at the night sky, in the middle of a dark desert.

Like I love fall, when the air is crisp and it smells
like cinnamon and spices everywhere.

Like I loved my grandmother's soft voice,
humming as she embroidered a handkerchief.

Like the feeling in the pit of my stomach,
that is both scary and courage-inducing.

Like I love pressing my face against a cold pillow,
and tracing the alphabet with my toes in the air.

Like I love the things that bring me joy,
hope, dreams and peace.

Because the future is never certain,
but when every day involves opening my eyes
and seeing your face next to mine...

What else matters?

I can sing you every song, new and old.
I can write you every poem,
I can trace my fingertips over your chest,
or run my fingers through your hair.

There's no bigger compliment than showing you this:

I will be better. Stronger. Healthier.

Because you make me a better person.
And, though I may stray from our path,
I'll find my way home, to you.


(File that under things I should've said a long time ago...)

No comments:

Post a Comment