1.11.2010

Happy? Anniversary.


Since the dawn of time, or the first episode of Barney (whichever came first), time has been celebrated and commemorated every 365 days. People celebrate anniversaries for a plethora of things ranging from the normal wedding dates, to the years spent in a cubicle, to the ever magnificent first time a girl gets her period (I knew a girl who did that. One word: Ack.). Hey, even birthdays tried to be sneaky and get their own holiday name. Face it, birthday - you're just an anniversary.

For the most part these are happy occasions, full of love and memories. Overjoyed humans celebrate the fact that another year has passed since a specific moment in time that forever altered their history. This need not apply if we're referring to 'celebrating' the anniversary of someone's death. It's not really celebrating as much as remembering on a yearly basis is it? I digress. Like I mentioned, one would think all anniversaries involved at least two (2, dos, deux) people celebrating that milestone. Makes sense, no?

So why do we find ourselves sometimes (most of the time?) being alone in remembering a specific date? Are we the only ones that carry these memories with us until we no longer have the desire nor the ability to keep time? My first kiss was with my first 'boyfriend' (guy that actually asked me to be his gf and met my parents after an outstanding 2 weeks of meeting over the phone...yeah.) Pablo when I was 16. It was on Saturday, July 21st of the year 2000. Where is he now? He's married to a girl he once introduced to me as his 'best friend since childhood' and they have 2 beautiful little girls. We lasted 4 months, as he broke up with me because I moved to the US and a long distance relationship at that age would be 'too difficult'. Funny thing is, I didn't cry. I wasn't upset. I just said 'ok'. Never heard from him again.

I'm not going to dive in into any more examples of such things (although I'm dying to go into the whole "I remember the date I first met Scott, Neil, Cathy, James, Dave, Owen and Shane online. In that particular order. Only Scott, Cathy and Shane are left and are the only ones that remember the first time they met me.") Yes, go ahead, breathe my dear reader. You shall not be subjected to my walk down lonely anniversary lane.

But I will say ONE thing. I hate that I'm the only one that saves a movie/event ticket stub or a silly receipt of a day that meant a lot to me, while you never even give it a second thought. I hate that a year later, I remember certain things as clear as it was yesterday when it happened. It makes me sad, to celebrate a "Hey it's been a year since you sorta walked into my life and showed me good people still existed."

On a side note, there is such a thing as celebrating a year since meeting someone that turned out to be a douche and now, a year later, you've moved on from that sort of hurt and dysfunctional friendship. Yeah, that was for you Neil and Dave. I met you both December 08. Good riddance. Also known as, Good Anniversary. :)

1 comment:

  1. lmfao...okay, first, that pic is priceless. I love when a man forgets your name AND when they forget or never remembered in the first place, an anniversary, that actually meant something to the woman.

    Second...douche...thats funny. Neil can suck my ass for what he did to us.

    Yay for the word plethora, its very poignant in this situation.

    Love you pookie bear. We shall celebrate our anniversary. would that be the first time we met in a room...i believe we were taking about PC cast and sausages (haha) or shall we celebrate the first time we chatted in PM? Damn, you were cracking me up. You so funny! Do you remember our first pet names for eachother? I do. hee hee

    ReplyDelete