12.28.2008

California Road Trip 08



Ahh...the highlights of my fateful trip to California. I did not abandon you my reader, for you are on my every thought. Did that make your day? I hope it did because I'm all out of fuzzies.


Anylongasstrip, as a very few of you knew...this was my first time in California. My first time past El Paso, TX to be honest. For all I knew, only sand and cactus reigned beyond that...oh wait, it did. It started innocently enough, and I can't tell you how excited I was when we passed El Paso at 10:30 p.m. You'd swear that I could actually see anything outside my window at night time. So then, we trudged on. First pass Las Cruces, NM...and I was so overwhelmed about getting to California already that we decided to go non stop. It all sounded fantastic until 5 a.m. hit...and we were both spent from driving. It got to the point where it didn't matter whose turn it was to drive because we were both swirving and falling asleep at the wheel.

Nonetheless, we made it to Fontana, CA at 9 a.m. the next day. Nauseous, with huge bags under our eyes, hair looking like a dead possum (we saw quite a few on the way so the comparison is accurate) and just...ready to take over California. I look out the window and my joy when I see the palm trees turned into absolute horror when I realized...there is SNOW on top of the mountains. Yeah, yeah...it LOOKS beautiful but dammit didnt ya'll tell me it was beautiful in SoCal year round?! I'm all expecting warmer temps but no, the snow and rain have arrived in SoCal along with Yari.

My trip was uneventful for the most part. So here are my top things:

#1) Traffic in California is not for the faint of heart. I've never been so close to death for a continuous duration of 4+ days. Wtf happened to your signals people?? How many freeways do ya'll need? It took us 4 different freeways to get anywhere!

#2) All the main spots I wanted to hit, we only saw about 2 and at night time. Do NOT get me started.

#3) In N Out and Carl Jr.'s are smart to stay away from Odessa...or should I say I am the lucky one? I would devour countless burgers every day from both places and have a massive coronary at 25.

#4) Pinks in Hollywood absolutely owns my soul. Any place that has pastrami added to a burger and hot dog that is already loaded with bacon and cheese is the closest thing to heaven on earth. No matter how long the line...I wept with the deliciousness of it all.

#5) California is aboslutely beatiful. People that live there complain of traffic, and act like they live nowhere special. Please, jackasses, come here to Odessa Texas and THEN talk about how California is 'no big deal'. Your beaches, sunsets, food, people, freeways (deadly yes!), malls, homes, mountains, palm trees, entertainment has NO parallel.

#6) For those of you who wondered...no Rob Pattinson was not in Los Angeles when I was there. The universe works in mysterious ways. If I would've seen him I would've never recovered. I still love him with every fiber inside me. He will never know I exist, and it is better that way. I would scare him away with my involuntary drooling and stuttering at his mere presence.

#7) I have amazing friends. This trip was just...fenomenal because of them. Although I must say, the whole "I'm so comfortable with you that I'm farting in your face" stage we reached in this trip is killing me. My nose is permanently possessed with the smell of rotten pastrami and ass.

Overall, the drive back was very peaceful. I enjoyed the trip very much and look forward to returning to California. I felt at home. I felt happy and alive. I felt like I fit in that enviroment. More than in Pennsylvania, almost as much as in Puerto Rico.

The City of Angels...what a place...what a place.

No comments:

Post a Comment