7.21.2012

28 Candles


I'm 28 today.

I wish this were a big, elaborate and meaningful post about how my life has changed blah blah. No. Here's my birthday in a nutshell:

I bought myself a strawberry cupcake and put candles on it. I blew them out and popped in The Emperor's New Groove. While I was at Michaels earlier (purchasing my candles), a very frail looking lady approached me in a frenzy. "You're wearing a hat! Just like I am!" Oh boy. Why me? I smiled at her and her green baggy cap sat crookedly on top of multi colored hair. She had huge dangly earrings, beads hanging from her hair and glasses, numerous necklaces and rings and every color in the rainbow on. She yanked my iphone out of my hand and tucked it in my pocket, then stuck her hand out so I could shake hers...I did. "My name is Mary Ann *** ***. Born and raised in Midland, TX". I couldn't help but smile, genuinely, at how I manage to attract characters. "My name's Yari. Puerto Rico." She started squealing about Puerto Rico and about our hats (I'm wearing a baseball cap), then said "I love that whole look you have going on. You look wonderful! So beautiful! Plus today is your day!" I was startled for a second. I didn't know this lady...what did she mean? I carefully said "Yeah, today's my birthday." She asked how old I was now. "28..." "Oh, I wish I could be 28 again...but I'm 49." "It's ok Mary Ann, 40 is the new 20." "YAY! Then I'm close to your age!" "You sure are. You look great too." She shook my hand again and told me to have a beautiful day. Just like that. The whirlwind that was Mary Ann flew out of my life as quick as it came in it.

So, if anything, I leave you with this. Sixteen Candles may have been true to a certain point. Sometimes birthdays aren't an event. Just another day. Oh man, and do they rarely end with you sitting in a dress on the kitchen table kissing your crush over a perfectly positioned, lit birthday cake. Sometimes you buy yourself a cupcake and meet an insane new person who you later realize is just like YOU, only 20 years older.

See you all again next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment