2.11.2010

There's Things I Remember, Things I Forget

Today was a pretty full day, emotionally speaking.

I seem to be getting sick...again. The same bronchitis/sinusitis crap I had a few weeks ago. My head and lungs are super congested, and I'm exhausted. I'm "sleeping" some at night, if you consider drifting off and coughing myself awake every 4 minutes "sleep". This morning I got to work a few minutes early to realize someone had scheduled a class for me to give, and I had not prepared for it. Giving the class is easy, it's making sure that the staff has enough security access to the computers and login IDs for the software what makes it a bit hectic to put together in 3 minutes.

I turned on the PC and projector...only to realize the image was projecting perfectly behind me...but my screen was black. Lovely. The 2 ladies I had to give a class to were ladies that had already been trained for several weeks but are just not getting how the system works. That's fine, I rather them be trained again than fixing mistakes but: a) One was texting the whole time and b) the other one was falling asleep. How rude. Sigh.

I finally spoke on the phone to Arelys. I met her the first day of kindergarten and we were pretty much stuck at the hip until I moved to the US. After that, we still called and wrote frequently and saw each other yearly. About a year and a half ago, she got pregnant and lost her baby. She texted me to call her that day she lost it, because she needed me, I was her sister. I never texted...I hid from her calls. Until today. I heard her voice and closed my eyes, almost seeing her pointy button nose and beautiful black/asian features. She didn't bring up why I disappeared or why, after being like her sister, I've become this stranger she never hears from. Instead she fussed over my diabetes (both her grandmothers have passed away from it, painfully slow) and simply said "I miss you". It broke my heart. I remembered everything from the time we were 5 and I found her crying inside my play house because her dad beat her mom, to my first "experiment" in kissing...which was with her. She was a great kisser. Alas, I stuck to boys.

She kept going on about finding pictures of us as little girls in different field trips and if "oh my god do you remember those horrible white shoes I wore to the fair?". I couldn't help by busting out laughing, for I did. Yes, they were quite horrible. Did I remember the time we were 8 and she shaved her eyebrows off...completely off? Yes, now its her turn to laugh. She's coming to TX next year to visit me, and my heart just burst and shattered into a million pieces. How could I be so selfish, and leave her behind? Many congrats on her wedding, the one we always planned I'd be the maid of honor for.

I'm even more homesick now...and Valentine's is around the corner. Happy quarterly profits to Hallmark and Godiva. Arelys' birthday is on Valentine's...so I guess I can be happy about that.

Happy Birthday, nena. Here's to us turning 26 this year...Here's to you, David and me still being the three musketeers, even oceans apart.

No comments:

Post a Comment